Friday, August 21, 2009

Back in the days when I was young I'm not a kid anymore

But some days I sit and wish I was a kid again. Do you remember what life was like before poker consumed hours upon hours of your day? No feeling hungover regretting drinking as much as you did on a Friday Night. Actually excited to sit at home on a Saturday and watch Saturday Night Live. Going outside to play Basketball, Football, Baseball etc. with the neighbors was our priority. Sure occasionally we'd stay inside playing video games every once in a while trying to beat the next level of Final Fantasy or figuring out new moves to use as fatalities on Mortal Kombat, but for the most part the outdoors is where we wanted to be. What happened?

We lost balance, we get grown and we tend to forget how to really relax. I spent over 14 hours yesterday revolving in some form around poker, went to the gym and then my day was over. Where is the fun in that? Sure I'm driven to become a better player but at what cost?

Most of us have pipe dreams of big dollars and poker success but what are you willing to pay for that? I've heard countless people say I love this game and with conviction no less. In my opinion your career/hobbies don't define you as a person, atleast they didn't when we were kids, Why now? I'm in like with poker but I sure as hell don't love it.....I hate it at times but I keep at it, tirelessly trying to improve to be the next poker success story. Will this happen? Maybe for most it will not. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with putting in long hours at the felts but for your health and well being I believe you should plan scheduled days off. Hang with friends/family make your days off count, don't just sit around and watch 5 hours of US Open footage...really make it count.

Find balance in life and poker, be honest with yourself about your abilities, study the game like it's an advanced statistics college course but I urge you to find hobbies outside of poker....Learn a musical instrument, rent some movies, figure out how to cook a new recipe and invite friends over to enjoy, go to the beach/park and throw the frisbee around, join a softball or volleyball league, go to a comedy show etc.

Find balance and enjoy life a little more and I think it would be safe to assume your poker playing will get better. Poker is a game of skill so work hard at developing that skill but take time for yourself, you don't have to put aside all your childish ways (1 Corinthians reference) for even if your 70 or 80 it's still okay to act childish when letting loose, after all that's when we were carefree and had the most fun right?

One Love

No comments:

Post a Comment